July 6, 2010

Arrabbiata Spaghetti and Meatballs

My husband and daughter asked for spaghetti and meatballs again for dinner. If I've said it before, I'll say it again: My family would eat spaghetti and meatballs three times a week if I allowed them to. I have been on this spicy kick recently, so I decided to use Arrabbiata sauce over the spaghetti and meatballs. Arrabbiata is a Roman sauce. All'arrabbiata means "angry style", named due to the heat of the peppers.


Ingredients:

Meatballs
  • 1 lb ground beef
  • 1 egg
  • 1/4 c Italian-style bread crumbs
  • 1/4 tsp sea salt
  • 2 tbsp parmesan cheese
  • 2 tbsp olive oil
Arrabbiata Sauce
  • 1/4 c olive oil
  • 1/2 tsp sea salt
  • 1/2 onion, minced
  • 1 clove garlic, minced
  • 1 tsp dried basil
  • 1 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
  • 1/4 c tomato paste
  • 2 (14.5 oz) cans of crushed tomatoes, undrained
  • 1/4 c fresh parsley, chopped
  • 1/2 tsp sugar
  • Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
  • Dry sherry wine, splash
Directions:
  • Make the sauce. Heat oil in a large sauce pan over medium heat. Add all of the sauce ingredients and mix well. Turn heat to low and simmer, stirring occasionally.
  • Make the meatballs. In a large bowl, mix together the egg, beef, bread crumb, salt and parmesan cheese. Form into meatballs.
  • Heat oil in a large skillet. Add meatballs and cook on all sides until golden brown and cooked through.
  • I drain the sauce because my husband does not like chunks.
  • Put the meatballs in the sauce and allow to simmer for at least 30 minutes. I like to leave mine in the sauce for at least 2 hours.
  • Serve over cooked pasta.
  • Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. Spaghetti and meatballs...yumm, always favorites in our house; yours look very delicious! any left overs??? hehehe...

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you! :)

Featured in: