April 7, 2011

Easter Egg Cake Pops

Easter Egg Cake Pops




One Year Ago:  Homemade Pop Tarts

It's hard to believe that Easter is right around the corner.  After this past long, harsh winter, signs of spring are always a warm welcome.  For us, we have a lot of driving around to do Easter weekend.  On Friday, we attend the Good Friday sermon at our church.  Then, we meet with my side of the family at my mother's house on Saturday for dinner and an egg hunt.  On Easter Sunday, we go to church in the morning and then meet my husband's side of the family for dinner at his mom's house and an egg hunt.  Somewhere in between all of the running around, I find the time to make two different dishes, one for each dinner.

I wanted to share these cute little cake pops with you.  This is my second attempt at cake pops and I am completely hooked.  They are so simple and so much fun!  I cannot share my first attempt at them yet because they are for an upcoming special occasion.  I got this basic cake pop recipe from Bakerella.   

Do you have any fun family Easter traditions?   What types of dishes do you make for Easter? 

Ingredients:  
Printable Recipe
  • 1 box cake mix (cook as directed on box for 13 X 9 cake)
  • 1 (16 oz) can frosting
  • Wax paper
  • Styrofoam
  • White candy melts
  • Lollipop sticks 
  • Colored icing, candy decorations, food writing pens, etc.; for decorating 
Directions:

After the cake is cooked and cooled completely, crumble it into large bowl.  Mix the frosting thoroughly into the crumbled cake.  You do not need the entire can of frosting, so start out by using almost the entire can and add more if you need to.

Roll mixture into 1-inch balls and form into egg shapes.  Place on wax paper covered cookie sheet. (Should make 45-50)


Melt the chocolate in the microwave per directions on package. (30 sec intervals, stirring in between.)  Dip the tip of your lollipop sticks in a little of the melted candy coating and insert into the cake balls. (Insert a little less than halfway.)  Place them in the freezer for a little while to firm up.

Once the cake pops are firm, carefully insert the cake ball into the candy coating by holding the lollipop stick and rotating until covered. Once covered remove and softly tap and rotate until the excess chocolate falls off. Don’t tap too hard or the cake ball will fall off, too.

Place in a styrofoam block to dry.

Once dry, decorate with icing and allow to dry!

Enjoy!

Here are a few additional Easter recipe ideas:
Easter Bunny Cake
Apple Pie Cupcakes
Baked Macaroni and Cheese
Roasted Rosemary-Garlic Leg of Lamb
Cheddar-Garlic Biscuits
Baked Potato Soup
Italian Pinwheels







This recipe is linked to Sweets for a Saturday



15 comments:

  1. These are SO adorable, Celeste! As cute as they are, I'm betting that they taste even better!! There's a specialty bakery in my hometown that makes cake ball truffles in tons of fun flavors. So good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. They are super cute! Great recipe ideas as well!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my goodness! How adorable! Those are just too cute! Thank you so much for stopping by my little recipe blog. I read your about me page....I was also married on Valentine's Day...but in 1994.

    I think I will try this recipe with my 12 year old daughter.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your cake pops are darling!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, these are too adorable! I have to, have to, have to make these! I am going to go to the store today. My grandkids would go crazy over these.
    Have a Sweet Saturday!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your cake pops are adorable! Love them!

    ReplyDelete
  7. These are so cute! The perfect Easter treat.

    I'd love to have you share this recipe on my linky, Sweet Tooth Friday. I hope to see you there! http://alli-n-son.com/2011/04/07/jelly-bean-cookies/

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for the sweet comments :) I will be making these for an Easter treat at my mother-in-law's house.

    Wendy, I'm just recently getting on the cake pop bandwagon and I LOVE making them! I had a Rocky Road cake pop at Starbucks a couple weeks ago and I'm going to try to recreate it. YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your cake pops are just gorgeous. Thanks for linking them up. They made the hit list for last week's Sweets for a Saturday and will be featured on this week's post. Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow! Thank you, Lisa! Have I said recently that I look forward to Sweets for Saturday every weekend?

    ReplyDelete
  11. These are so cool, I think the grand kids will like them.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love your Egg Pops! We'd love to invite you to come on by and link it up, if you wish to THIS WEEK'S CRAVINGS "Easter Cookies & Treats"

    http://momscrazycooking.blogspot.com/2011/04/this-weeks-cravings-linky-party-25.html

    ReplyDelete
  13. I linked up cake pops at This Week's cravings too, it was my first batch. I thought they were quite a pain to work with! I'm a new follower here. Happy Easter :-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. We are making a bunny version of these today. I'm excited to see how they turn out.

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you! :)

Featured in: