January 26, 2015

Vegetarian Cauliflower Fried "Rice"


We're expected to get about a foot of snow between today and tomorrow!  Since my little sous chef and I were snowed in today and I was able to finish work early, I decided to venture into the kitchen and try something different.  I've been noticing cauliflower being used in place of rice in recipes, and I've wanted to try it for myself for quite some time now.  Today was the day.  I was definitely skeptical at first, but now that I've tried it, I'm a believer.  When seasoned properly, you really can't taste a difference between the two!  This is a delicious, healthy, and satisfying version of fried "rice" that's both low in calories and low in carbs.  It can also be made in under 30 minutes!  






Ingredients:
Yields 4 servings

  • 3 c grated raw cauliflower 
  • 1 tbsp sesame oil 
  • 3 tbsp butter, divided 
  • 1/2 c sweet onion, chopped 
  • 1/2 c carrots, chopped 
  • 10 asparagus spears, trimmed and cut in 1-inch pieces 
  • 1/2 c frozen peas 
  • 1 c zucchini, chopped 
  • 2 garlic cloves, finely minced 
  • 2 tbsp soy sauce, or to taste 
  • 1 tsp brown sugar 
  • 1/2 tsp fresh ginger, grated 
  • Pepper, to taste 
  • Garnish:  Chopped scallions and toasted sesame seeds 

Directions:

Preheat a large skillet or wok over medium-high heat.  Add the sesame oil and 1 tbsp of the butter.  Once the butter has melted, add the onion, carrots, and asparagus.  Cook for 3 minutes, stirring frequently.  Add the peas and zucchini, and season with pepper.  Cook for 2 minutes longer.  

Add the garlic, soy sauce, brown sugar, and ginger to the pan.  Pour in the grated cauliflower the remaining 2 tbsp of butter.  Cook for 2 to 3 minutes, or until the cauliflower is cooked to your desired doneness.  Season with soy sauce and pepper, to taste.



Garnish with chopped scallions and sesame seeds, if desired.  

Enjoy!


1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing such beautiful information with us. I hope you will share some more information about cauliflower rice. Please keep sharing.
    Health Is A Life

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you! :)

Featured in: